CEO announces new scheme backing forces innovation
Police forces across England and Wales can now seek the backing of the College of Policing to test innovative ideas in tackling crime under a new scheme.
Speaking at the Police Foundation’s 9th Annual Conference, Chief Constable Mike Cunningham gave details of forthcoming ‘College Registered Pilots’ scheme.
The new scheme means forces can register with the College when they want to test new and innovative approaches to tackling crime.
Registering will provide forces with the backing of research advice and quality assurance from the College of Policing, and access to independent academic input, or subject matter experts.
The scheme will support forces to implement their innovative ideas and act as a mark of reassurance to the public that a trial has legitimacy and the potential to improve policing.
Once complete, the College of Policing will share findings with other forces to help inform national practice.
Chief Constable Mike Cunningham said: “The greatest asset we have in policing is our officers and staff, and we want them to be confident in coming forward with innovative ideas. When we have the confidence to try out new ideas, we benefit from the opportunity to learn, from both success and failure, and ultimately the knowledge we gain can help improve policing for the public.
“With this new scheme we want to help create the conditions that will allow these innovative ideas to be tested.”
The College of Policing, as the professional body for policing, has previously carried out pilots in forces on topics including domestic abuse, stop and search, body worn video and mental health which have gone on to inform national training and guidance.
College Press Office
College of Policing
020 3837 0435
Notes to editors
- For eligibility into the scheme, there is an expectation that pilots would:
- Have an established evidential or theoretical basis.
- Relate to high risk/high cost areas of policing where national support would be of particular value / importance.
- CC Cunningham is delivering his speech between 15.35hrs and 16.35hrs on Wednesday, 24 October 2018.
- More on the Police Foundation’s 9th Annual Conference: Innovation and learning in policing can be found here.
- For more information on the any of the content of CC Cunningham’s speech please contact the College Press Office.